Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I Found GREEN HORNED CATERPILLARS in my Garden Today!



I have lived in Las Vegas since 1985 and I have always loved to garden. Each year I grow basil, tomatoes and peppers. I have tried cucumbers, squash and a variety of other veggies without as much luck as tomatoes and peppers.
My tomato crop is over for this year, but I always have peppers (Anaheim chili peppers, jalapeno, habenero etc.) that grow into the late fall. I noticed this morning that my pepper plants were eaten on. I couldn't believe it because I just watered them yesterday and didn't notice anything unusual.
Upon closer inspection and much to my dismay, I pulled 9 huge green horned caterpillars off of my plants. Never in all of my years of gardening in Las Vegas have I come across such a large amount of caterpillars on my plants. In years past I have had a caterpillar or two...but never 9!!!!

I spoke with my mom in Minnesota and she said that there is an usual amount of activity in Minnesota with the green horned caterpillars as well.


Tomato Horn worm - are 3-4" long green caterpillars with diagonal lines on sides, prominent horn on rear end. Eat foliage and may take bites out of green fruit. Tomato horn worms are the larvae of 2 large moths: the Hawk moth and the Sphinx moth and overwinter in the soil in the pupal stage. Adult moths appear in late spring and lay single, pearl colored eggs on the undersides of plant leaves that hatch in about a week. Larvae feed on foliage for about a month before they enter the soil and pupate. They can be difficult to spot as coloring matches plant. Look for them on the undersides of leaf-stripped branches. They can easily be hand-picked and destroyed or if infestation is severe, use
Bt (Bacillius thuringiensis) dust or liquid (organic).
Braconid wasps will kill these caterpillars by implanting rice-like eggs on their backs.
It's great to garden, if you have kids it is a wonderful to work on garden projects with them and to watch the fruit and vegetables grow is spectacular. To sit down for a meal and eat your own home grown food is another perk in the process.
Brought to you by Kim Duclos Coldwell Banker Wardley www.CallKim.net